Glen Cook book Dread Brass Shadows|
By use of a magic book one of the men in the books turns himself into a beautiful woman. Later he is killed while female and slowly begins to change back to male form. When he is found he's half and half.|
, 544 months, post #1 |
This book is part of an excellent series of hard-boiled detective
pastiches. It's one of the middling books, not as good as the best.
Porbably gets a 2, although only becasue the better ones should get
a 3. The TG is minimal.|
, 544 months, post #2 |
The tone of this story is quite funny. Basically, try to imagine a
hard-boiled Daishell Hammett detective, some hard-living flatfoot
trying to buck authority and cut corners-- living in a Terry
Pratchett novel. You sort of get the idea. The TG scene is
minimal--about three sentences worth. The man-as-woman does show up
in his disguise but doesn't reveal who (s)he is; later the body is
found dead and half-transformed. That's about it. (My review is
longer than the scene.) But the book is fun. Give it a read, but
don't expect too much out of the TG.|
, 175 months, post #3 |
Fun book. The transposition of the classic detective character into
a world of ogres, elves, dwarves, magicians and the like is
enjoyable. The madcap story line is a treat as the hero deals with
an inexplicable surplus of beautiful redheads. We only find out
later that one of them used to be a man, and the discovery only
comes well after that particular redhead has departed from the
scene and is found dead. A good read, though.
Add a New Message to This Thread|
- POSTS MAY BE REMOVED at the discretion of moderators for violation
- Please try to keep posts appropriate for younger teenage eyes to
view (Things you'd be comfortable sharing with a 13 year-old).
- Do not post advertisements.
- One exception is for products or services that relate to entries on
this site. And even then, only post an announcement once. You
should add links or content to the appropriate database entries. Do
not repeat this information to the message board. Doing so will be
- Do not post direct links to complete copyrighted works. Links
provided by (or approved by) the copyright holder may
- Do not plagiarize.
- Do not post messages in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Do not attack a user for improper spelling and/or grammar. Not all
of our community uses English as their native language.
- Please post in English, or include an English translation, when
- Please do not stray (far) from the topic of the original post.
- Please keep the conversations civil. Do not 'attack' other posters.
- You may attack an individual's comments but not the individual.
- Do not pretend to be someone that you are not. Using an online
alias is ok.
- Be polite, courteous, and respectful.
- If a poster provides their contact information for any reason, do
NOT clutter the Message Board by asking them to contact you. They
gave out their contact information for a reason.
- When starting a New Message Thread, please include details about
your topic of discussion or request in the Subject
field to help draw in readers who are interested and avoid wasting
the time of those who are not. Also helpful in searching for the
- No begging. Ask nicely.
- If seeking material / information, include the results of your own
efforts so that others can offer better help (and avoid wasting
time and effort on redundant searches).
- Do not feed the trolls and spammers. Please ignore them.
- Do not keep asking for clips after others have already posted
information on where to obtain the material.
- If you post a link, please provide some detail as to what it is.
Identify the material if possible.
- Please post clear spoiler warnings if you intend to give away
details that would spoil the story for those who have not yet seen
the material, preferably by using the <spoiler>
tags (don't forget to close the spoiler text with the </spoiler>
- No bumping. Bumping a thread is considered as bad manner here,
since it doesn't add anything to the discussion of the thread.
Bumping will be treated as intentional spamming the site and the
post will be deleted, and the user did the bumping will be noted
for future reference, ie. enter into the board's naughty users
[Edit this Page]