Turned the Scythians at her temple at Ascelon into women.|
, 136 months, post #1 |
Not quite. When the Scythians sacked Ascelon, they raised the
temple of Athena/Venus to the ground. In revenge, the goddess
changed the entire invading army into women, and had them dragged
off by their enemies as wives. The story is, I believe, in either
Herodotus or Thucydides.|
, 110 months, post #2 |
I've read both Herodotus and Thucydides' histories and don't
remember this. I think something like this would stick in my
memory. Thucydides anyway has very little if any mythological
content. The previous poster was probably thinking of some other
historian or mythographer.|
From: Lady Sekhmet*
, 110 months, post #3 |
This particular "myth" comes from a citation in Krafft-Ebing's
"Psychopathia Sexualis". It was a mis-interpretation of a Herodotus
text regarding "permanent effentinatio" among the Scythians (that
constant horseback riding caused effeminization of warriors due to
the friction against their privates).|
This has no basis in actual mythology but has been cited in so many
places that it has been adopted as true.
, 110 months, post #4 |
Possible I've got the writer wrong (I've read so many of them,
after all), but I do remember coming across this story once and
thinking "whoa!", which is why it stuck in my mind. Will have to do
, 110 months, post #5 |
I can confirm what Lady Sekhmet said. I had read it in various
places attributed to Heroditus, but also read that it is a
mistranslation. It seems that sociologists interested in gender
relations are usually quoting it. I did look up the passage in
Heroditus and found it apparnely vague in meaning. The
interpretation of horse caused insterility was a guess by
Hippocrates. The curse put on the Sythians is, if memory serves me,
translated as "the female disease" but is otherwise unexplained,
and could easily be anything.|
, 109 months, post #6 |
, 98 months, post #7 |
Yes, maybe it is apocryphal but it shoulda happened, so let's
pretend it did. I wish it could happen now. : )|
Add a New Message to This Thread|
- Please try to keep posts appropriate for younger teenage eyes to
view (Things you'd be comfortable sharing with a 13 year-old).
- Do not post advertisements.
- One exception is for products or services that relate to entries on
this site. And even then, only post an announcement once. You
should add links or content to the appropriate database entries. Do
not repeat this information to the message board. Doing so will be
- Do not post direct links to complete copyrighted works. Links
provided by (or approved by) the copyright holder may
- Do not plagiarize.
- Do not post messages in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Do not attack a user for improper spelling and/or grammar. Not all
of our community uses English as their native language.
- Please post in English, or include an English translation, when
- Please do not stray (far) from the topic of the original post.
- Please keep the conversations civil. Do not 'attack' other posters.
- You may attack an individual's comments but not the individual.
- Do not pretend to be someone that you are not. Using an online
alias is ok.
- Be polite, courteous, and respectful.
- If a poster provides their contact information for any reason, do
NOT clutter the Message Board by asking them to contact you. They
gave out their contact information for a reason.
- When starting a New Message Thread, please include details about
your topic of discussion or request in the Subject
field to help draw in readers who are interested and avoid wasting
the time of those who are not. Also helpful in searching for the
- No begging. Ask nicely.
- If seeking material / information, include the results of your own
efforts so that others can offer better help (and avoid wasting
time and effort on redundant searches).
- Do not feed the trolls and spammers. Please ignore them.
- Do not keep asking for clips after others have already posted
information on where to obtain the material.
- If you post a link, please provide some detail as to what it is.
Identify the material if possible.
- Please post clear spoiler warnings if you intend to give away
details that would spoil the story for those who have not yet seen
the material, preferably by using the <spoiler>
tags (don't forget to close the spoiler text with the </spoiler>
- No bumping. Bumping a thread is considered as bad manner here,
since it doesn't add anything to the discussion of the thread.
Bumping will be treated as intentional spamming the site and the
post will be deleted, and the user did the bumping will be noted
for future reference, ie. enter into the board's naughty users
[Edit this Page]